A post on CNN’s iReports—which doesn’t vet or fact-check its content—is saying 14-year-old Kenneth James Weishuhn of Primghar, Iowa, committed suicide on Saturday night and was found dead on Sunday. (A funeral announcement seems to confirm the story.) Details are sketchy at this point, but James had been bullied regularly since he came out at school several months ago
Teen suicide is a serious problem in both gay and straight youth and bullying plays a big role in this, below are some resources available to those who may be thinking about suicide or youth questioning their sexuality, remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem – MAKE THE CALL!
- If you are under 18 check out http://www.emptyclosets.com.
- The Trevor Project at 866 4U TREVOR. It’s a 24-hour, national help line for gay and questioning teens. You can learn more about The Trevor Project at their website: http://www.thetrevorproject.org.
- Angels and Doves is a nationwide anti-bullying non profit organization. Their website is http://www.AngelsandDoves.com
- The National Center for Bullying Prevention is helping to promote awareness and teach effective ways to respond to bullying. You can learn more about them at their website: http://www.Pacer.org/bullying
- The Matthew Shepard Foundation runs Matthew’s Place, an online community and resource center for LGBTQ youth. The website is http://www.matthewsplace.com
- If you are thinking about suicide please tell someone. You can also call the suicide prevention life line at 1-800-273-8255.